Author Topic: Fishman Triple Play Documentation now online!  (Read 2379 times)

Offline guitarno

Fishman Triple Play Documentation now online!
« on: March 22, 2013, 02:37:05 PM »
 ;D Looks like the Fishman site finally was updated with some documentation. I was wondering when they were going to post some more meaningful info with the product release coming up soon.

Anyway, here's the link to their page with the user manual, release notes, and install docs:
http://www.fishman.com/tripleplay/help

I haven't had a chance to read through these yet, but I will be going over them soon. Hopefully after reading through these docs, I will be able to get up and running quicker when my pre-ordered FTP finally arrives!
 ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 06:52:48 PM by Elantric »
Guitarno

Offline shawnb

• Global Moderator
Re: Fishman Triple Play Documentation now online!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 07:35:22 PM »
THANX!!!
I read it when I first woke up, now I'll do it again!
Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
 - Fripp

Offline guitarno

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 10:33:46 PM »
I've been going over the FTP manual and obviously, it's a "Preliminary" version. There are a number of missing graphics with text like "Pic 73 goes here" markers & I found one graphic that was inserted upside down (page 53). I'm sure they will update this as time goes on.

Aside from the formatting errors, the content is pretty good. There's a lot of good information - It will take me awhile to read and digest all of it, and of course, it won't be until we actually have some hands-on time with the FTP that we will see how some of these features work out in reality.

Some of the more interesting things I have come across so far:

• In general , the details are pretty comprehensive & seem to be well written. I've had plenty of gear with very obtuse manuals. Roland & Boss manuals come to mind.
  • It looks like there are a number of "Sensitivity controls to fine tune the MIDI data sent to the plug-ins. Maybe somewhat similar to the GR-55 settings.
  • These "Sensitivity" controls can be set at both a global level and on a per patch basis.
  • Some of the patch management features look promising. There is a system of setting up "Song Lists" which allows you to organize patches on a "Per Song" basis. That could be pretty useful.
  • Other patch management features like Drag & Drop copying & re-arranging also are nice features.
  • One of the features I really liked on the VG-99 and also present on the GR-55 is the ability to do alternate tunings. The FTP allows you to run in MIDI Mono mode with a seperate instance of a VST for each string. There is a "Transpose" function for each one, so it looks like you could do alternate tunings with this if I'm not mistaken. If this is the case, it's a huge plus for me.
  • As has been stated on the forums before, it looks like you can use many VST's inside of the FTP host. That is a great thing for expansion & customization. I know I plan to use Scuffham S-Gear for the normal guitar pickups in conjunction with the FTP in addition to or instead of the bundled guitar VST's. Being able to use most virtual instruments with FTP is a huge plus - you won't be locked into their bundled instruments if you have other VST's you prefer.

All in all, some pretty good things so far. I haven't gotten to the MIDI implementation yet, and I'm no MIDI expert so I won't be able to analyze those functions completely, but if it has at least moderate support for simple MIDI functions like changing patches, maybe controlling some parameters in real time with a MIDI foot controller, that will make using it live a lot easier. I don't know what Fishman has planned for the future, but there was a lot of conjecture about them releasing some sort of hardware component later on. If you can do MIDI control through a generic foot controller, maybe that's not a big issue.

As far as MIDI control, I'm not sure how this is passed on to individual plug-ins running under the FTP host software. I'll have a lot of reading through the manual to do to understand how that is going to work & what you can & can't control via MIDI.

;)
Guitarno

Offline Elantric

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 11:36:45 PM »
if it has at least moderate support for simple MIDI functions like changing patches, maybe controlling some parameters in real time with a MIDI foot controller, that will make using it live a lot easier.

See Page 88
Adding a MIDI controller pedal to your TriplePlay setup unlocks one of the system’s coolest features: the ability to alternate between two synth sounds within a single patch. You can toggle between two sounds. You can sustain notes created with one sound while playing over them with another. You can even loop recordings of one sound and solo over them with an alternate sound.
Here’s how it works: In addition to its Guitar channel and four Synth channels, TriplePlay has a dedicated Pedal channel that lets you load virtual instruments just as you do on your Synth channels. Pressing the foot pedal summons this secondary sound, and special Pedal channel parameters determine whether the pedal simply alternates between your primary and secondary sounds, sustains the secondary sound, or triggers loop recording and playback of the secondary sound.
You can control this behavior with either a MIDI sustain pedal with a momentary switches or a clickable footswitch. In fact, you don’t even need to use a pedal — any MIDI-capable controller works (provided it can send messages via CC#66, with a value of 127 for on and 0 for off).
Whatever the hardware you use, you’ll need to connect it to your computer via USB. Options include:
 a USB footswitch (such as Logidy’s UMI3)
http://logidy.com/

 a USB MIDI interface with a ¼” footswitch jack
 a USB MIDI keyboard with a ¼” footswitch jack
 a USB MIDI interface and a non-USB MIDI keyboard that’s connected to the interface via a five- or seven-pin MIDI cable
(If you use the MIDI keyboard option, be aware that most are configured to send sustain pedal messages via CC#64, not the needed CC#66. In such cases, you need to download a utility that can convert MIDI CC messages. There are numerous free apps that perform this task for Macs and PCs. Meanwhile, some controllers, such as the
TriplePlay Manual • 89
Logidy UMI3, come with dedicated applets for making such assignments. Check the documentation that accompanies your device.)
Once you’ve programmed your controller to transmit on CC#66 and connected it to your computer, select Preferences from the TriplePlay Options menu. Your device’s name should appear in the Foot pedal MIDI input pull-down.
Pic 119 goes here
Once your pedal is configured correctly, the Sustain light beneath the Sensitivity meters glows green when you engage the pedal. When you press it again (or release it, if it’s a momentary controller), the light goes out.
Pic 120 goes here
TriplePlay Manual Part 1 • v02 • 3
Now the controller pedal works like a sustain pedal on any MIDI keyboard: pressing it sustains any active notes indefinitely, and any new notes you play are added to the sustained chord. This is a good way to mimic such instruments as pianos and harps.
If, on the other hand, you’d like to sustain a virtual instrument chord and then play over it with non-MIDI guitar sounds, select the Block new MIDI notes option in the instrument’s parameters tab.
Pic 121 goes here
With this option selected, any notes sounding when the sustain message is received continue to sound, but your subsequent playing doesn’t trigger any new notes until you release the pedal. This is useful if, say, you want to create a sustained keyboard sound and then solo over it using a sound on the Guitar channel without triggering new keyboard notes. (If you simply switch the controller’s selector switch to the guitar-only setting, all sustained keyboard notes are instantly terminated.)
Now let’s get a little trickier.
For our demo example, load factory preset #1, Blues Organ. This will be our primary sound.
Next let’s add a virtual instrument to the Pedal channel as a secondary sound. Click-hold the box at the bottom of the mixer’s Pedal channel and select SampleTank 2.x as the plug-in.
TriplePlay Manual • 91
The SampleTank plug-in window opens. Load a violin as the secondary sound by click-holding on the LOAD pull-down near the top of the plug-in and selecting Violin 2 LP EXPO M (TP) from the Presets menu.
Pic 122 goes here
Note
Note that the TriplePlay Parameters tab at the left edge of the plug-in window has an extra set of controls that don’t appear on Synth channel plug-ins windows: Pedal Mode. It offers four options: Hold (up), Hold (down), Alternate, and Loop.

Click the Alternate option and close the plug-in window. Note that the Sustain light now reads Alternate:

Now when you press the sustain pedal, your tone toggles between organ and violin.
Open the plug-in window again by double-clicking the SampleTank 2.x box at the bottom of the mixer’s Pedal channel. In the Parameters tab, select Hold (down) as the Pedal Mode option. Close the plug-in window.
Note that light now reads Hold:

Now you hear the secondary violin sound. When you press the pedal, you hear organ again. Additionally, any violin notes that were still sounding when you pressed the pedal now sustain indefinitely. Pressing the pedal again to release the sustained notes and returns you to the violin sound.
The Hold (up) option is the same as Hold (down), but with the pedal polarity reversed.
Finally, open the plug-in window once more and select Loop. Close the window. The light in the Sensitivity display now reads Loop

When you press the pedal, the loop light flashes red. TriplePlay starts recording your MIDI violin performance, and keeps recording until you press the pedal again, at which point the Loop light glows solid green. Press it a third time, and the loop plays back continuously as the Loop light flashes red once more. Press the pedal a fourth time to cease playback.
(Note that this isn’t a full-featured looper. It doesn’t work on the Guitar channel, only the Synth channels. Also, can’t import or export loops — they’re erased as soon as you halt playback.)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 11:38:30 PM by Elantric »
. . . the future ain’t what it used to be . . .

Offline Zummooz

• Global Moderator
  • Down Under
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »
OK i've read all documents ...
and still can't see anything about being able to reverse the FTP pickup.

Think you could thou.
Just isn't a global setting (well I can't see it) like the VG and GR have for the GK'3s etc.

Must be able to.   ::)
Q... What kind of advice can you give me ?   Tommy Emmanuel's reply ....

You move your hand Up and Down that long bit and the music comes out of that Big Black Box behind you !!

Offline Elantric

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 02:44:16 PM »
Regarding mounting the FTP pickup reversed or use with Left hand guitars, here is the response.

Concerning your requests for the reverse pickup setup, this is indeed technically possible (although not obvious, and requires significant software development time). As far as I know up to now nobody thought about that, maybe if you request that it will get on the list of new features for a software update. Anyway, as you probably see now, software update is a very simple and painless process, so anything that can be done in software can be available for users who already have a unit.

Andras

Offline Zummooz

• Global Moderator
  • Down Under
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 10:19:14 AM »
Thanks Elantric
WOW ... I can't believe no one at Fishman thought about that.

Even I did    ;)

You move your hand Up and Down that long bit and the music comes out of that Big Black Box behind you !!

Offline gumbo

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 01:18:55 PM »
Thanks Elantric
WOW ... I can't believe no one at Fishman thought about that.

Even I did    ;)

....but they also wouldn't know what a 24" cone-clutch Alroh was, either...    ;)

Offline MCK

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 07:01:18 PM »
Snip cable,
Reverse order resolder,
Heatshrink insulate,
Reverse install FTP on guitar.
Case closed.

Who wants to wait for ages for Fishman to get the sw updated....  ;D
Dark Fire Initial Check Out  - Q/A
http://www.futureguitarnow.com/forum/index.php?topic=14.0

Caig DeOxit - Buy now before you need it !!!
http://www.futureguitarnow.com/forum/index.php?topic=454.0

Offline Elantric

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 04:24:39 AM »
Snip cable,
Reverse order resolder,
Heatshrink insulate,
Reverse install FTP on guitar.
Case closed.

The FTP  hardware re-ordering of the string sequence is even easier than that - No soldering required - its similar to what many already do with the GK-3 -
stay tuned.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 04:41:01 PM by Elantric »

Offline guitarno

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 05:48:17 PM »
if it has at least moderate support for simple MIDI functions like changing patches, maybe controlling some parameters in real time with a MIDI foot controller, that will make using it live a lot easier.

See Page 88
Adding a MIDI controller pedal to your TriplePlay setup unlocks one of the system’s coolest features: the ability to alternate between two synth sounds within a single patch. You can toggle between two sounds. You can sustain notes created with one sound while playing over them with another. You can even loop recordings of one sound and solo over them with an alternate sound.
Here’s how it works: In addition to its Guitar channel and four Synth channels, TriplePlay has a dedicated Pedal channel that lets you load virtual instruments just as you do on your Synth channels. Pressing the foot pedal summons this secondary sound, and special Pedal channel parameters determine whether the pedal simply alternates between your primary and secondary sounds, sustains the secondary sound, or triggers loop recording and playback of the secondary sound.
You can control this behavior with either a MIDI sustain pedal with a momentary switches or a clickable footswitch. In fact, you don’t even need to use a pedal — any MIDI-capable controller works (provided it can send messages via CC#66, with a value of 127 for on and 0 for off).
Whatever the hardware you use, you’ll need to connect it to your computer via USB. Options include:
 a USB footswitch (such as Logidy’s UMI3)
http://logidy.com/

This does look like a very cool feature. I remember Burr Johnson doing some of this with a Logidy pedal in the Namm videos. As far as other accessible MIDI functions, the Beta manual that was posted to the Fishman site does not yet have the MIDI implementation information (Appendix 1) included. I guess we'll have to wait for a week or so until the manual is updated & the FTP is released to find out what other functions are supported via MIDI. ???
Guitarno

Offline Elantric

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 09:24:05 PM »
Ive already placed a request with Andras Szalay for a full TriplePlay MIDI Implementation Document, which i hope is several pages long.

Offline Zummooz

• Global Moderator
  • Down Under
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 11:25:45 AM »
Regarding mounting the FTP pickup reversed or use with Left hand guitars, here is the response.

Concerning your requests for the reverse pickup setup, this is indeed technically possible (although not obvious, and requires significant software development time).
As far as I know up to now nobody thought about that, maybe if you request that it will get on the list of new features for a software update.
Anyway, as you probably see now, software update is a very simple and painless process, so anything that can be done in software can be available for users who already have a unit.

Andras
I sent Fishman an email asking about reversing the pickup.
ie: mounting from high E side. Or for lefties.

Reply ...
It can be, but we don't have a way to reverse the GUI. 
Maybe in future iterations of the software.

Well there's my 1st request needed for future up-dates.   ;) 
May-be a new thread needed for suggested up-dates ............

Offline MCK

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 04:40:31 PM »
Can't believe once again we are talking about future updates while waiting for a first iteration product to be delivered. Such is life on the cutting edge. Love it.
Dark Fire Initial Check Out  - Q/A
http://www.futureguitarnow.com/forum/index.php?topic=14.0

Caig DeOxit - Buy now before you need it !!!
http://www.futureguitarnow.com/forum/index.php?topic=454.0

Offline shawnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 07:26:37 PM »
Can't believe once again we are talking about future updates while waiting for a first iteration product to be delivered. Such is life on the cutting edge. Love it.

Should we start a pool to see how long it takes to see a 'hey my license key has been registered' post?  The logistics of bundles frighten me...  Too many vendors = a difficult project.   ;)
Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
 - Fripp